This project concerns the rehabilitation of an old outbuilding which was originally a wheat mill in the middle ages, and was converted into a sawmill in 1851. This sawmill was in operation for 30 years and was currently abandoned. Poitiers council has modernised the space into a 21 m x 25 m open-air patio with an area for picnics, walks and events on the bank of the River Clain.
The objective of this rehabilitation is to provide the space with a roof to improve the comfort of the interior while conserving its transparency.
The current main wooden structure has been maintained and restored. Another metal structure has been installed over this original on the two sides of the roof and the gable. This structure serves as a base for the installation of 3 transparent single-layer ETFE membranes tensed with cables, rods and raw aluminium profiles.